Thursday, July 23, 2026

A00112 - Johnny Clegg's The Crossing (Osiyeza)

 Over the past few days, I continued to be fascinated by the career of Johnny Clegg.  In my view Johnny Clegg is one of the giants of South African history.  I again commend to you the Wikipedia article on Johnny Clegg



However, I also strongly advise that you view his Youtube video of Asimbonanga, a song Johnny Clegg composed and performed in tribute to Nelson Mandela and, in which, the Great Mandela appears and dances to the song about himself.


However, the song that has been embedded in my mind for the past few days is The Crossing, a song that Johnny Clegg composed and sang in tribute to Dudu Zulu, his long-time bandmate who was shot and killed attempting to mediate a taxi war in 1992. Here is Johnny Clegg singing the song on his own.


Twenty-five years later, as Clegg was in his final battle with pancreatic cancer, a group of some fifty all-star singers gathered to sing The Crossing in tribute to Johnny Clegg.  In viewing the video, you might see Peter Gabriel or Dave Mathews, but my eyes focused on the diminutive Zolani Mahola, of Freshlyground fame. However, whoever may catch your eye, each singer gives a spirited performance.


This song has been in my soul for the last four days.  It is an earworm which I cannot seem to escape.  Apparently, this song has also become somewhat of a resounding theme song for the young people of South Africa who are striving to create a rainbow nation.  See how these DHL employees sing the song


and how the song has even infiltrated the University of Stellenbosch 


I do not know if I will ever make it back to Amherst to perform my Memorial Service.  However, if I do, I plan on bringing The Crossing Osiyeza with me.


Peace, 

Everett "Skip" Jenkins
Class of 1975
July 23, 2026


----- Forwarded Message -----
From: skipjen2865@aol.com <skipjen2865@aol.com>
To: Everett Jenkins <skipjen2865@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2026 at 05:07:14 AM PDT
Subject: Johnny Clegg, The White Zulu

While reading about South African township music via a Copilot search (see below), I was introduced to the group known as Juluka


and through Juluka, I was introduced to the extraordinary Johnny Clegg, the White Zulu


On this Sunday, I encourage everyone to read more about Johnny Clegg


and to understand why his spirit is still so alive 
Peace,

Everett "Skip" Jenkins
Class of 1975
July 19, 2026




88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

No comments:

Post a Comment